s

Tag Archives: improper maintenance

Bus passenger ejected through windshield after driver makes short stop

New York – Officials explain that a private tour bus was driving into Manhattan when it suddenly stopped short, sending a passenger slamming into the windshield. The driver of the charter bus stated that he had to make the sudden stop when he realized that he was coming up to a red light. It is unclear how fast the bus was traveling at the time of the accident. The victim then crashed through the window and fell on the street, causing multiple injuries, including a head injury. The injured man apparently fell out of the window, which did not shatter but rather broke away from its frame. Safety activists familiar with the bus accident note that the windshield equipment should be investigated to find out why it failed. Negligent installation as well as improper maintenance could be responsible but a dangerous manufacturing defect must also be ruled out. Although some witnesses didn’t think the bus was speeding, police were also looking into why the bus driver had to stop short. Officials will also look into whether or not all safety standards were being followed prior to the injury. The injured bus passenger was taken to the hospital for evaluation in the emergency room. You can find out more here.

Illustrative photo credit: Chris Sampson [License]

Multiple victims in Long Island carbon monoxide poisoning incident

New York – A restaurant in a Long Island, NY shopping mall was the scene of a deadly carbon monoxide poisoning incident three days ago. Hospital officials confirmed that the manager of the restaurant was killed by the gas leak that had filled the basement of the business. Investigators report that the cause of the accidental poisoning was from a leaking flue pipe from the building’s water heater. Unfortunately, the hazardous condition was not discovered until the victim was found unconscious in the basement and more than two dozen other became sick during the incident. Citizens who were eating there, workers and emergency responders were amongst the sick victims that required hospitalization following their exposure to the chemical gas. Emergency department staff successfully treated most of the ill patients but were unable to revive the unconscious worker, who died in the hospital. Emergency room experts explain that carbon monoxide gas is odorless and colorless but can be detected with a relatively inexpensive detector that can be purchased in most hardware stores. However, current construction, building and fire codes do not require these devices in a location where people don’t sleep. This has some public safety advocates distressed at the lack of safety in this regard. They contend that a simple and inexpensive piece of equipment could have easily warned potential victims of the danger. Despite this, businesses are required to properly maintain all equipment in their building in order to prevent dangerous situations such as this. A report shows that the restaurant was issued a ticket with possible fine for faulty equipment. Maintenance specialists say that this could have occurred due to improper maintenance of equipment in the building. Read more about the hazardous condition that led to the death of the worker in this article.

Illustrative photo by Mondberg (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons